25 August 2012

birth is like magic!

This morning, MDT & I listened to a great interview on NPR about magicians and junk. We love that shit because the people who write obscure books and get interviewed on NPR about them are always so endearingly nerdy. Anyway, the author was talking about a really interesting study he did (because obviously he's only an amateur magician, who's really a physicist) where he distracted people with a coin trick, stole their watches during the trick, put the watch ON, and did another card trick for the person while wearing the watch. 80% of people didn't notice a thing! It's called "in-attentional blindness" (when you're not paying enough attention and miss super obvious stuff). It's called "MAGIC"

So, beyond being a really rad topic for an interview, the Till family has found a way to incorporate it into practical life. We went to our first Childbirth class today and the nurse was talking about how often a very good birth coach (that's the PC term for Baby Daddy I guess) can distract a laboring women enough for her to not feel all the pain. Michael and I say: "MAGIC!" and then giggle loudly from the back of the class.

We are kinda the worst students. We giggled a lot, Michael described amniotic fluid as a "baby jacuzzi", I refused to breath through pursed lips, Michael joked that a baby in the nursery looked like him and we need to talk later, I described the babies as "huge burritos", & Michael gave me the hardest/fastest massage ever during relaxation practice. I bet she wishes we don't come back tomorrow.

The other big highlights of today's class were the videos & the hospital tour (this place does single rooms only for both labor and postpartum - woot for privacy!). The videos were what you think they are: ladies who are hot messes, rocking around uncomfortably until a baby squeezes out their lady hole. We saw a lot of vaginas today and I was actually very surprised by the amount of fluids & goop happening down there. I mean, I had a hunch that "baby comes out of vagina" was how this whole thing was going to end, but I just wasn't prepared for the gooeyness of it all. Hence the aforementioned woot for privacy.

Finally, I am about 36 weeks along now. In 5 days I'll get full credit for this pregnancy thing, even if I don't go the full 40. In 20 days I'll say "in a while, crocodile" to the best class of 2nd graders ever. And sometime in the 14 days after that we'll have a giant wriggling burrito in our house. I think we're going to ask someone to order a extra large burrito & bring it to the hospital so we can accurately compare.

I'll try to post relatively soon about my ridiculously amazing class this year. They are freakin angels from heaven. I've come to realize that I have high standards for myself and this blog. I can't be writing about just any old crap and will only update when I've got good quality shit to throw down. Or. You know. I'm just lazy.

P.S. iPad and Blogger don't know each other that well and haven't been in touch about how to upload pictures together. Sorry.

4 comments:

Kristina said...

Yay for privacy indeed and boo for gooeyness!

Anonymous said...

This is hilarious! -Ashley

Anonymous said...

You're going to be a fantastic mommy. Mike and I can hardly wait to visit. Ana

Anonymous said...

I am dying to know what Michael has up his sleeve to distract you with, so the "Magic" will work. And just so you know, the gooeyness is way more than you will expect, but subsides relatively quickly. You are so excited to get that giant burrito "OUT", that you kind of don't even care about the other stuff that might usually bother you. I had forgotten about that part, so obviously it is not that big a deal.

Can't wait to meet Mr. Fenner ???? Till.

Love, Granny Lulu (otherwise known as "Grondmuthu" this is Michael's phonetic version)